Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Looking good for less takes on a new meaning...

Myself, along with a few other make up artist friends team up with The Los Angeles Urban League Business and Career Work Source Center

(a non-profit funded by LA County and City Workforce Investment Boards.)


Looking your best for an interview can seem expensive, especially when you actually need the job to be able to afford the look you want. At least that’s what I used to think, before having to speak face to face with those less fortunate than me about such preparation. I was invited to speak to a group of LA job seekers about proper make up for an interview. Excited and prepared to show them the usual, I pulled out my kit...

MAC make up brushes, Bobbi Brown foundations, and Smashbox eye shadows were ready to go. However, as I was setting up, I quickly thought about the cost of all the products I was using. This wasn’t fair to the people I was teaching, because I knew why they were there. So, I had a few minutes and I made a run to Family Dollar. There I picked up some lipsticks, lip glosses; make up wipes, mascara, and eye shadow all for under $15. I also stopped at CVS to get a $9 Cover Girl foundation to complete my model’s look. Once I was done with the make up, every woman in the room wrote the product information down. It made the phrase “looking good for less” a lot more meaningful to me. I even gave my model the products I used on her face. I wish those ladies much luck in their job search!

Mission Statement

To enable minorities to secure economic self-reliance, parity, power and civil rights through advocacy activities; utilizing the provision of programs and services in our uniquely diversified city and region to do so.

http://www.laul.org/worksource_ctr.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment